Eldenring’s Dark Moon Greatsword continues a nearly 30-year tradition at From Software. Every Kingsfield and Soulsborne game (except for “Sekiro”) includes this iconic sword.
The Darkmoon Greatsword can be found in the middle of the Elden Ring, at the top of Lanni’s quest. Before you can get the Dark Moon Great Sword, you will face the Elden Ring‘s most difficult boss, so it is a good idea to invest in the Elden Ring.
Elden Ring Dark Moon Greatsword: How to start Ranni’s Quest
Make sure you have completed the Braid of Mistwood quest. Ranni’s quest can proceed as usual, even if you have not completed it.
Meet Ranni at the Kalia mansion and serve her. You will be directed there when Roger’s quest is completed,
Talk to Braid in the Ciofra River (one of the coolest areas in the game.
Talk to Seluvis in the tower south of Ranni’s, and talk to Sorceress Sellen (check out our guide on completing Sorceress Sellen’s quest if you missed her in Rimgrave). Return to Blaidd in Siofra.
- Defeat the Kerid boss, Starskaj Ladern.
- Talk to Ranni and Eazi again, obtain the Fingerslayer Blade from under the crater of grace that opens southwest of the ruins of Fort Haight, and return to Ranni.
- With the items she gave you, obtain the curser mark from the top of the divine tower in Linuria.
- Rena’s ascension in the Kalian mansion will open up. Use the portal at the top and collect the doll near the first place of grace.
- Defeat the Shade at the end of the area and open the chest in Lennara’s boss room at the Royal Lucarial Institute with your obtained key.
- Return to the place where you fought the Shade and explore the Lake of Rot. Defeat the area boss and ascend.
- Go down the hole in the Cathedral of Manus Ceres and talk to Lanni to end the quest and receive the Dark Moon Great Sword.
Elden Ring Dark Moon Greatsword stats and features
The Moonlight Greatsword is a great Intelligence scaled melee weapon and is perfect for sorcerers seeking melee options or spell words specializing in melee attacks. The required stats and scaling are as follows.
Intelligence. 38 points required. Rises from C to B when weapons are upgraded.
Strength: 16 points required; scaling is D.
Dexterity: 11 points required.
The ashes of the battle of the Dark Moon Greatsword, called the “Moonlight Greatsword, will now deal bonus magic damage and emit a distinctive magic beam during heavy attacks. Importantly, FP is only applied to the act of enhancing the weapon. The Moonlight Beam can be unleashed as often as desired while the buff is in effect.